Thursday, March 26, 2009

I took this picture at the 2005 US Open.Image via Wikipedia

Louise Bourgeois is a French artist in her late 90's living in New York. Her work spans many generations of art history, it is as relevant today as it was in the 1950’s if not more so, as her practice now encompasses many mediums including marble, stone, bronze, installation and mixed media.
I am including some discussion below on what she regards as the feminine geometry. This is explained in terms of the physicality of the female hair and the forms it adopts and how these might offer a clue to the feminine psyche.

Hair and similar textures like sea grasses are elements that I am also using as visuals in my project. I find Bourgeois’s interpretation of hair revealing and insightful.

"Stability as in life, in my drawings a woman’s hair is either well organized, carefully braided and parted, or disheveled. There is a message in either case. In the first case the girl is in control of herself, is self confident, but in the second, the disheveled girl is subject to depression. So their is another connection, a disheveled girl is melancholic......
What I am saying is that there is a feminine geometry. A torsade is something that revolves around its axis. This geometry is founded on poetic freedom and promises security."
Louise Bourgeois by Robert Storr (Author), Paulo Herkenhoff



Like Bourgeois I am interested in the many elements of daily life and how these can filter through to the work.
She also talks about "digging" and how when we are presented with a problem we dig.
'You dig in your mind; we all dig for the truth. A cat will dig in the garden to hide its shit. We all dig all day long, so the metaphor is obvious”.

This is how the work is progressing I am digging, searching for inspiration, and trying to do things that I think I cannot do.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shelagh,

    the underwater plants we saw on yesterday's walk made me think of this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YYLvayn_ZI

    (sea grasses and hair, 0.35 - 0.54.)

    and more imagery from Tarkovsky you might like:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W02LTH8qba0

    ReplyDelete