Monday, February 16, 2009

For my project I am going to create an Interactive Art Installation that will be both visual and also have a conceptual theme, which will inform the content of the work.
The main challenge for me within this project is the development of the tools and software to drive the Interactive element of the work. It is also an opportunity to develop new skills that will in turn enable me to create new projects. I see it as an opportunity to allow me develop new elements, which will in turn foster audience participation in my work.

I will begin by photographing projections that I have projected on to 3D surfaces. I also intend to film and photograph scenes, which I will construct in the diving pool in U.L.
I will then create a space where this imagery will be projected and the viewer will be able to interact with the imagery.
The idea for the piece is to create a series of visuals and sounds that will have some compatibility when mixed together.
For example their could be an image of a person floating or descending through a pool of water. A sound of water bubbling under the surface or of a voice humming might accompany the image .The viewer will have a choice of images to project directly on to this image or play one alongside the other simultaneously. The second image might be of seaweeds flowing in a current of water or remnants of a dress caught in the under growth (very dark) this might be accompanied by the sound of birdsong in the evening.
The idea is the viewer has a menu of images (each accompanied by its own sound) with which she can play or mix randomly or at will.

In order to make this work I will have to explore different technologies, learn how to use them, and play with them and adapt them to the works needs.
At the moment I am searching for similar types of work or research that stimulates new ideas for me.
I have been searching through the Internet and also the library in U.L.
I have yet to find an installation work which is similar to my proposal.
I have found some photographers and visual artists that have opened new ideas for me and also some that seem to carry similar threads in their work.

The photographers that I am looking at the moment are Joan Fontcuberta, Ruud Van Empel, and Jeff Wall. The first two interest me because they are both digitally manipulating images and forming a synthesized work from a myriad of these images.
Jeff Wall on the other hand is taking a historical piece of art and reproducing a similar type scenario from the original image only within a contempory setting. While there are many examples of this type of process in the art world. They often suffer from too much concentration on technique and not enough on content. It would seem as though their main concern was to create something as virtuous as the original. Wall on the other hand might begin with something as obscure as a Japanese woodcut, re-enact it within a contemporary twist and the result is something very surreal and out of context. The resulting piece can look as though it is a dramatic still from a film.
Ruud Van Empel is doing something a bit different in that he is totally creating the narrative and content himself from manipulating and reworking a large amount of images which are worked in to a single image.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment